The 1957 Triumph Freebird inches toward completion.

Getting the last of the puzzle pieces together to complete this build. The engine is now back together, the cables and controls are completed, everything on the electrical system is done except the battery hook-up and kill switch, wheels are completely built, all just waiting on the final pieces. The seat is being upholstered and the panniers are starting to get the hardware applied. As soon as the battery arrives, the battery box can be completed and the oil bag and hoses put on. With all that done, the wheels will go on and we will have a roller!

A new Lucas magneto advance unit was sourced from England. After seeing what happens to fiber gears, I went for the alloy drive gear option.

A new Lucas magneto advance unit was sourced from England. After seeing what happens to fiber gears, I went for the alloy drive gear option.

A little of the red accent color was used in the script on the primary cover.

A little of the red accent color was used in the script on the primary cover.

A new backing plate , pivot and spring arrangement for the choke inverter has it working well. The brass rocker tubing was routed and just needs to be hooked up at the oil bag.

A new backing plate , pivot and spring arrangement for the choke inverter has it working well. The brass rocker tubing was routed and just needs to be hooked up at the oil bag.

Really happy with the blends of color and texture. Between the brass, leather color, cadmium and chrome plate, and the paint, there is a softness that I was hoping to achieve.

Really happy with the blends of color and texture. Between the brass, leather color, cadmium and chrome plate, and the paint, there is a softness that I was hoping to achieve.

The Amal 389 carb will probably get a polish and an air filter may get made, but the engine is otherwise done. As soon as it is on the ground, the exhaust will be put on, and by all appearances it will be a complete bike.

The Amal 389 carb will probably get a polish and an air filter may get made, but the engine is otherwise done. As soon as it is on the ground, the exhaust will be put on, and by all appearances it will be a complete bike.

A lot of effort went into keeping the bars clean and the cables tidy

A lot of effort went into keeping the bars clean and the cables tidy

There will be some leather-wrapped grips that match the rest of the upholstered parts.

There will be some leather-wrapped grips that match the rest of the upholstered parts.

This is the first time to see the footpegs on the bike with the new brass treads.

This is the first time to see the footpegs on the bike with the new brass treads.

With the magneto advance unit in place and the engine timed, the side covers can finally be put on. The original brass emblem was reapplied with some new mounting pins.

With the magneto advance unit in place and the engine timed, the side covers can finally be put on. The original brass emblem was reapplied with some new mounting pins.

The panniers are going together. Penny Goods Leather made the flaps and covered the inside and outside of the boxes, adding the canvas pocket. The hardware is being riveted to the front side of the boxes while the rear portions are still getting some finishing at the leather shop.

The panniers are going together. Penny Goods Leather made the flaps and covered the inside and outside of the boxes, adding the canvas pocket. The hardware is being riveted to the front side of the boxes while the rear portions are still getting some finishing at the leather shop.

A little rough still, but the basic form can be seen.

A little rough still, but the basic form can be seen.